Tuesday, November 10, 2009

What do you want Ella?

Bedtime for the past month has become a real battle. On completing our normalish routine dinner, bath, occasionally milk, books and bed Ella has decided to hop out of bed. When Ella first began to sleep in a big bed at the beginning of the year - this behaviour was easy to control. Our system back then was 3 strikes and you're out. This translated into if Ella got out of her bed three times the door to the bedroom was closed.

Now fast forward to the present and this system no longer works because Ella is tall enough and clever enough to open the door. So we resorted to staying in the room, having no communication and as soon as her feet hit the floor to put her back in bed. Some nights this process only takes 10 mins and other nights it takes over an hour!

Last night was one of those long nights. Unfortunately I was flying solo while Andy attended a meeting and Katy complicated the evening by waking up during the battle! Anyhow I did manage to have Katy back asleep and thought Ella had finally crashed so out to the lounge room I snuck. About 5 mins later I hear a little patter of feet coming down the hallway. With my anger rising I calmly asked "What do you want Ella?" She quietly replied "I want mummy."
My anger quickly disappeared and my heart swelled with love. I picked her up, gave her a great big cuddle and kiss, took her back to bed where she fell asleep with no further problems:)

No comments: