Thursday, April 17, 2014

Cooking

With the temperature dropping as we head into autumn, the plants in the vegie garden were well past their best - time to get cooking! Picked all of the remaining green tomatoes and pulled up the plants, along with the zucchini's, eggplants and cucumbers. Now Andy and I aren't big chutney or pickle fans but luckily Dad is, so after a google search I found Retro Green Tomato Pickles recipe.

Adapted the recipe to use up the 2.8kg of tomatoes that I'd just picked. Scrapped together enough of the other ingredients and cooked up some pickles. Unfortunately I hadn't been very organised in saving jars and was hoping that the local food lovers shop would be open....was out of luck there. In the end found myself back at coles buying some relatively pricy jars. As a result, there are now numerous jars of pickles developing their flavours in the laundry waiting for Dad's next visit!

I've had several other recent successes in the kitchen that gained the girls approval (a very difficult feat in its self!) First a batch of melting moments. I was surprised at how easy these are to make these are sure to make another appearance soon.

Finally was Beef Bourguignon - which translates to beef in red wine done in the slow cooker accompanied by pasta (kids) and crusty bread (for us). A perfect recipe for the upcoming winter.

No comments: