Wednesday, September 10, 2014

O @ The Gib

The recent ACT Long Distance O champs were held at the Gib located on the outskirts of Bungendore. For Andy and myself it was the first event where we didn't have split starts or tag team and so the girls were left to fend for themselves! I mean when we say fend for themselves I should point out that they were amongst a plethora of kids with several adults keep an eye/ear out!

The Gib is quite a tough area. It's one big hill with lots of rocks. The sun was shinning, the views were great and Jase had set an enjoyable course. Only real problem was my lack of ability to keep on task. On a couple of legs my mind wandered, I stopped concentrating and paid the price for it resulting in several minutes of mistakes.

Anyhow as I approached the last control I could see the gang of kids nearby. Then Ella began to run off calling out for help (quite calmly I must say). So I detoured off course to find out what the problem was. Turns out that the gang (Ella, Katy, Max, Mira & Zoe) had found a large mud patch. Their fascination eventually led them to walking through it resulting in their shoes sinking deep into the oozy mud and then getting stuck so they simply stepped out of their shoes!! Once the shoes were rescued by yours truly, I went on to finish my course and subsequently returned to see if everyone was still ok. At this point they were busy cleaning their shoes in a nearby puddle!!

From all accounts we weren't missed by the girls. The gang of kids occupied themselves with the punching string course, climbing trees and of course playing in the mud. You got to love the play opportunities the great outdoors provide :)




No comments: