Saturday, November 5, 2016

Full of beans

It was suggested to me to plant broadband instead of green manure in the veggie garden over winter. The beans soon sprouted, and grew and grew quickly filling up the veggie patch. Beautiful flowers bloomed and then it was ages before the beans emerged. By that time (several weeks ago) I was ready to start planting summer veggies however there was no room! The only solution was to pull out a few plants which I did.


Eventually the day came to harvest a few of these beans. Having never grown or cooked with broad beans before, I needed to do a little research. It seems that there is lots of info on the net about removing their waxy covering. Turns out it wasn't necessary as the beans I'd picked were very young.



As for the dinner, we cooked Ricotta gnocchi with broad beans and bacon which was given the thumbs up (from us adults).


Since then I've harvested the next batch and am now on the lookout for another recipe perhaps we will try a salad....

No comments: