Wednesday, July 11, 2018

Night time visitor

We had another growing up first recently.... Andy and I were invited to our over-the-back-fence neighbours house for dessert and wine. Thinking if would only be a few hours and we were a stone throw away from our house, we decided to leave the girls by themselves. Their plans were to watch a movie and then head to bed.

Happily chatting away while enjoying delicious desserts, cheese and wine and revelling in this new found freedom we wondered (briefly) how the girls were coping only to see the text message - Going to bed! It was 9.30pm.

Feeling smug with how smoothly the night was progressing, we relaxed and continued to enjoy the evening. About 30 mins later, my phone rang and a little voice on the other end said 'Mum, I can't get to sleep. Can you come home.' Ella had tried her hardest to reassure a scared Katy without any luck. Within a few minutes, I was home cuddling her as she drifted off to sleep.

Ella was still bright eyed and happy to read so I trundled out the front door intending to rejoin the evening only to spot a dark shape in the pistachio tree. Shinning my torch to say hello to what I thought was a possum, I discovered a lovely tawny frogmouth! Knowing Ella would love to see it and without a key, I made my way around to the back of the house and banged on Ella's window. Together we came through the house to find Andy opening the front door! He had walked straight past the lovely bird and not noticed it! Together we stood on the front deck and admired this wonderful creature.



No comments: