Wednesday, January 29, 2020

Surfing - A Family First

You'd think the 20 years I spent growing up in Perth, I would have tried surfing. Sadly it wasn't the case. I'm not sure why we never did and I don't feel like I missed out on anything. Only armed with our bodies, we would body surf when the waves were good at the beach.  Anyway while at Tathra we were looking for something new to do and with stories from a friend's recent surfing lessons we decided to sign up!

Conditions were perfect - slightly overcast with nice size waves rolling in for our lesson. By 9am, we were down at the surf club, being introduced to our instructors who kitted us up with full length wetsuits. Following a short briefing, we were paddling our boards out past the breakers to play a game of tips allowing us to become comfortable with moving the surfboards around. The girls could easily pop up on to their knees and balance on their boards.

Another short session on the sand taught us the steps to standing up. Younger people definitely have the advantage here..... both Andy and I were struggling with the flexibility to bend!! Then it was time to head back out to the waves to test out our skills! It was fantastic fun. I haven't laughed so much in ages as Andy and I both were falling off left, right and centre. Ella was doing pretty well, while Katy found it exhausting hauling the big board back into the waves. Can't wait to do it all again!!

Here is a compilation of our attempts :)






No comments: