Tuesday, August 2, 2022

Unexpected News

A few weeks ago post run (and post covid 4th booster) my knee blew up for unknown reasons. Over this period of time, I tried resting, anti inflams and also using it to no avail. If anything my knee was getting worse so I decided it was time to visit the GP. He ordered bloods which showed nothing much. Next on the list was an MRI.

In the back of my mind I knew my knee would show some sort of deterioration. I'd already had two arthroscopies 10 years ago and was therefore was always at an increased risk of developing arthritis. However I was very shocked to read the report. Snippets of the report said this - 

In the medial compartment, there are changes of prior medial meniscectomy. There are changes of severe osteoarthritis with near complete full-thickness cartilage loss, subchondral bone oedema and acute synovitis.

In the patellofemoral compartment, there are changes of grade II chondromalacia.

There is knee joint effusion with moderate active synovitis.

I thought I'd be in this position when I was 65 - it seemed I'd hit this 18 yrs too early! WTF!! After collecting myself I thought a trip to see my orthopaedic / sports medicine Dr was in order.




No comments: