Sunday, March 29, 2009

Catching the Bus

The latest fad in our house is catching the bus. Ella & I used to catch the bus a lot last winter, but lately we've been concentrating on riding our bike to work together. But last Monday the bike was still at work from last Friday; the bus was the only option. Ella found this quite exciting -- she even got to press the button -- and wasn't afraid to tell people. "Ella catch bus" she would say proudly to anyone who was listening.

By Thursday afternoon the bus memory was still strong in her mind, and when I asked how we would go to work on Friday she told me: "Ella catch bus". I could hardly deny her. The novelty hasn't yet worn off, and she apparently walked around childcare all day, informing her friends of the finer points of catching the bus. (She now claims to also be able to stop the bus.)

The down side of catching the bus is that I have to walk across campus with Ella. She won't let me carry her, but she can't walk the whole way. This is worse than the bike in every way -- it takes longer, requires more mental energy and is actually harder work. I hope the fad ends soon ...

No comments: