Friday, July 31, 2009

Train for the ages

Ella's expedition to the Weston Park train (see one of yesterday's stories) jogged a childhood memory of being excited by the train myself. So I dug through the old photo albums and uncovered documentary evidence to support my claim that this train must be almost as old as me.

The evidence is shown on the above -- compare with the snap below. It seems that the train "carriages" have changed colour in the intervening years, and perhaps the seats have been re-covered. But the styling is unmistakable.

You'll see from the photo that, despite this being my party, I was a shy lad and did my best to avoid the glare of the camera. Nothing's changed there. In contrast, Susie (at the back, obviously being egged on by Raymond King) wasn't shy about showing off. Meanwhile, uber-dork Cathy steals the show with her four-eyed death stare.