Thursday, November 24, 2011

Sneaky

You got to love how little minds think and how things evolve sometimes especially when it comes to making parenting easier. It all started about a month ago....

Our normalish bathtime routine involves the girls having a bath - with one adult supervising while the other adult does packing lunches, cleaning up dinner dishes, has a shower, work stuff or whatever... then once the girls are out of the bath the other adult comes to give a hand with teeth cleaning and getting them into their pj's.

More often than not this process in not a smooth one - there is either lots of resistance ie more time in bath, running around in the nude/jumping on the bed to avoid putting on pj's...or there is tears usually from tiredness.

So one night while I was in the supervising role and Andy was having a shower, I whispered in Ella's ear that we'd play a trick on Daddy and perhaps we could get dressed before he got out of the shower. Very quietly I helped the girls out of the bath, brushed their teeth while telling Daddy that we'd need his help in a few minutes (I should mention Andy could see exactly what was going on through the frosted glass of the shower.) We disappeared to the bedroom and in a record time had pj's and nappies on! The whole time Andy was playing along "Just washing my toes then I'll be able to help you girls get in your pj's... "

So when Daddy eventually opened the shower door, the two girls were dressed ready for bed without any protests or tears! Ella thought it was hilarious and Katy copied her big sister reactions.

With Andy is in Tokyo for work conference this week, I've discovered I can be just as sneaky. The one parent scenario goes something like - girls get into bath, a few minutes I hop into the shower, then after awhile I call out " Just need to wash my hair then I'll get you both out OK?" Ella replies "OK mummy" then whispers (loudly) to Katy "Quick Katy lets get out and trick Mummy!" They both climb out with Ella helping Katy into her towel, then brush their teeth (as I've left the toothpaste and brushes conveniently on the basin as well as prompt them with a "We'll brush your teeth too once I'm out") and head off to the bedroom.

I emerge from the shower surprised that they are no longer in the bath. Down to the bedroom I go to find Ella in her dry nite and pj's and Katy patiently waiting in the nude!!

Just wonder how long this is going to last....

No comments: