Monday, November 30, 2015

All Fired Up

Wednesday afternoons now alternate between little a's training and orienteering. The primary factors which influence which activity is chosen includes weather and location so little a's more often than not comes up trumps.

Recently orienteering was at the Pinnacle, in the next suburb. With Ella keen to continue practicing for next years easter champs, we decided to go. Luckily Nana had picked the girls up from school so she took them straight to the event. By the time Andy and I got there, Ella had finished her course and Katy was not too far behind. Content to play around with the gang of kids, Andy and I both headed out for a run. I began first and was on a shorter course so it was decided that once finished I'd take the kids home and begin dinner while Andy did the long course plus ran home.

As I began to round up the girls, Ella stormed off upset/angry. I wasn't sure what the problem was however I haphazardly said " You can run home if you're not in the car when we leave!' With that said Ella took off running toward the car and continued on past it.

Oh dear I'm thinking I didn't actually mean that. The route home was a total distance of 2.5km but there were 3 fairly major roads to cross and at 6.30pm were still busy with traffic. I quickly told Jase, to tell Andy when he saw him that he may have to run fast to catch up Ella!

Stalking Ella in the car, I had expected her to run out of puff but no. She was now determined to finish what she had started. Watching from a distance, she carefully crossed the 2 major roads thankfully without incident and began the downhill stretch. As we were rolling along, I noticed Andy in the rearview mirror. This only spurred Ella on again as she wanted to beat him too!

So much for Andy's casual warm down jog home. He was running pretty fast to catch up and eventually made contact with Ella around 300m from home. I was relieved of my stalking duties and continued home.

Over dinner we discovered the source of the problem - her cousin had asked to look at a cricket Ella had caught. Ella handed over said cricket and her cousin threw it away! Now if we could only transfer that determination and grit to the 800m at little a's!!



No comments: