Tuesday, December 27, 2016

Goodbye Amy

Nearly 18 years ago to the day, Annwen and I drove out to a pet shop in Midland and purchased a miniature apricot and white poodle as a Christmas present for my Mum. This small little fluff ball became known as Amy.

She made friends with Holly, the German Shepherd and Meg, my first border collie. Out living both of them, she then became friends (mostly) with Lady, a rescue german shepherd.


In recent years old age crept up on Amy and as I left with each visit, I thought it would be the last time I would see her. yet as the next trip came around she was still there....a little more deaf, a little more blind but as cuddly as ever! The girls adored her too.


Unfortunately last Thursday, unbeknownst to us, we had our last cuddle with Amy. As we headed off to Penguin Island, she went to the vet to undergo a simple operation to remove a lump from her lip. Once sedated however, the vet discovered, it wasn't a simple lump but Amy had cancer in her jaw with many lumps in her mouth. And so the only kind thing was to put her to sleep. We were all devastated with this outcome.

Thanks for the memories Amy - you will be sorely missed.

No comments: