Monday, January 22, 2018

Inspirations from Ikea

Inspiration comes from funny places. Recently we headed out to Ikea to purchase 2 armchairs for the front room. A quick and easy purchase as we knew exactly what we wanted.

As we often find ourselves all sitting around the bench that has only 3 bar stools, we also decided to buy another stool too. This bar stool comes with a removable cover but for some reason only in cream! I couldn't cope with how dirty and stained these easily become so I found the fabric section and assessed potential options. Meanwhile Andy was taking the first armchair back home....we couldn't all fit with the 2 armchairs and stool in the car!

Once Andy returned, we were on our way out and happened to spot a couple of outdoor bench seats. Hoping to replace our outdoor chairs, a quick test revealed a poorly constructed or designed seat which was very wobbly. We continued on.

So back home, I took an old bar stool chair cover, unpicked it and instantly had a pattern! Spreading the fabric, I carefully cut the required pieces and set to work.

I think my sewing machine is magnet for the girls because as soon as it was out, both wanted to use it! So much for my productive afternoon. Ella decided to make a little drawstring bag each for orienteering. Meanwhile Katy thought Tomoki, the teddy bear needed new pants!








After a few hours of sewing, I headed out to see what Andy was up to outside. Turns out that he had begun his own project - building a bench seat from an old pallet! A task that would take much longer than our sewing craft projects, with the numerous sanding and sealing involved.



Ella's creativity continued... and she made herself numerous headbands!


I plodded along over a few days. The first cover took the longest, but after that I had quite the production line going. I'm happy with the covers and hopefully with a spray of scotch guard, they will keep a little better. Now time to contact the kitchen guy to change the bench leg from one in the middle to one at each corner allowing the bar stool to be pushed in.





No comments: