Thursday, August 13, 2020

Awkward

We have 2 local coffee shops that we frequent - Little Oink which is walking distance from home and 2B10 conveniently located opposite school. Both have been around for 5+yrs and do great coffee. Prior to Covid, we would always sit down to enjoy a coffee. Obviously when covid hit this wasn't an option, however takeaway was still available at both establishments. For Andy who only drinks out of a takeaway cup in extreme circumstances, he stopped going to the cafes and bonded more with his home coffee machine. 

Meanwhile I often would still grab a takeaway on my way to work. As Katy wasn't going to school, I would rarely go to 2B10 opting for the closer cafe Little Oink. Procedures at Little Oink had adapted to the changing conditions and one was required to order at the door, then wait outside until your name was called as your coffee was delivered to the outside table. Thus the staff at Little Oink learnt my name (having already mastered my order previously).

Anyway as restrictions slowly lifted, we returned to 2B10 a little more and I had two wildly different experiences recently that made me chuckle. Firstly one of the staff members calls me Jackie and despite correcting her on at least 3 different occasions, she continues to do so! Anyway no biggie really however, the other morning she served me. As I approached the counter she greeted me with 'Hello Jackie, a medium latte today?' while writing down Jackie on the takeaway cup. I nodded and paid before taking a seat continuing to sift through my emails. Funnily though was when she called Jackie, I stood up collected my coffee and turned around to see a confused look on a fellow school friend's mum face - yep long story I said to her!!

Then within the week, I returned again. This time while waiting to be served by a new staff member, I heard a familiar voice come from behind the coffee machine  'Hi Natalie, lovely to see you again!' Turned out to be a staff member who had recently returned from overseas. She'd been away for the past 18 months and when calling out my correct name commented 'What happened to the mochas?!'

No comments: